Design projects • • • Problem Roulette
Problem Roulette is a study tool for University of Michigan students. U-M faculty provide and manage questions from past exams, which are then served to students in a variety of study session features. Study data is captured, curated, and presented back to students and helps guide them in what they need to study more.
I worked on Problem Roulette during my time at U-M’s Center for Academic Innovation. As lead designer on this project, I was in charge of:
- Designing the platform’s UI for all audiences—course instructors, graduate student instructors, and students, as well as our internal project’s administrative team
- Advising on all user experiences and best design practices
- Rebranding the project and creating a design system, which I also managed and maintained
- Creating student surveys to inform my designs
- Actively implementing the front-end HTML/LESS/CSS to build my designs
I also collaborated closely with:
- Software developers in the shared project codebase
- Behavioral scientists to improve user-facing language across the site and implement tailored messaging
- UXR team members to put together protocols and interactive prototypes used in user tests
A snapshot of the Problem Roulette, including feature demos and design system assets at work.
Project Management & Collaboration
Artifacts showing how I stay organized and what I present to team members to facilitate discussions and collaboration.
I used Adobe XD to create a shared design system and component library. This helped keep the UX and UI of the platform features consistent.
I created a working spreadsheet to track the design and implementation statuses for Problem Roulette’s features.
I evaluated features; made recommendations for improvements based on accessibility, typographical hierarchy, UXR findings & student feedback, and general best practices for design; and presented these to the team in an easy-to-follow way.